Tuesday, 25 February 2014

Distance.

What is distance? It means the space between two things. Point A and point B is 20km apart. (That's a great distance, if you are travelling by foot.)

This post will be talking about the kind of distance that will hurt. That makes heart the grow fonder. The kind of distance that makes things awkward.

The distance between people. Not the literal kind, the metaphoric kind.

Friendship is like a steep slope/mountain. The higher you climb, the closer you are to someone. If we don't continually hold on. If we don't continually grab on to the closest rock to you, gravity will do the job and bring you down all the way to the ground.

People have a natural tendency to drift apart. Or should I say return to their original position? We all start out as strangers, right? So, if we don't put in effort the friendship will inevitably get awkward over time and eventually reach the lowest point - the "Somebody that I used to know" point.

Have you ever met someone that you haven't seen for 4 years? How about someone you haven't interact in 8 years? I'm sure the conversation was marvelous! From the awkward hellos to the awkward how are you doings... It's the rarest form of interaction one can hope to encounter daily. Truly remarkable. It will leave you wondering if there is any other feeling that could ever beat this.

I'm going to spend some time to talk about introverts and extroverts. Don't ask me why... my brain just wan't to.

Imagine a world where it's winter EVERYWHERE, ALL THE TIME! Then, imagine two kinds of people, obese and emaciated. (Just bear with me here) In this world, the emaciated people have to constantly wear many layers of clothing in order to survive the weather; the obese ones have to pick and choose only a limited amount of clothes.

So, the thin people, would more likely grab anything and everything that they can wear and put it on. Of course, without neglecting the sense of style. They need to be covered and surrounded by clothes all the time. Honestly, some of the obese people can survive without any clothes, however, they have to wear something. So, what do the obese people do? They would pick and choose the clothes that they feel most comfortable with.

Although the example isn't that great, I think it does paint some parts of the picture of what an introvert and extrovert would look like. Yes, the obese people are obviously introverts and the emaciated people are extroverts. (Oh man, that last sentence, if taken on it's own, wouldn't make sense whatsoever.. HAHAHA) Although there also exists regular people in that imaginary world, they are called ambiverts. Just like how the obese people in the imaginary world only needs minimal layers of clothes to keep warm, so does introverts need only a small amount of friends around them. The inverse holds true for extroverts.

So, what does this have to do with distance? I have next to no clue. My brain is just going on it's own.

But, back to distance. There are always distance between people. I have been thinking about my distance with people. With the busy-ness that arise in life, I have grown further apart from people that I don't get to meet regularly anymore. During the busy times, this doesn't bother me. But when all is settled and done, I start thinking about all the people I have missed out due to my busy-ness. I'm the kind of guy who would get all busy in life and forget about other people. I can get so task-oriented, I imagine myself living in a world by myself. (with internet of course) But, I've noticed that I have the other side of me. the side of me that is people-oriented, crying out, wanting to reconnect to the world that I used to love and enjoy. The company of close friends that I once had before the busy-ness of life didn't grab a hold of me.

I do stop myself sometimes and take a look around me. Noticing people that are around me. But, they seem to be in a world of their own. It's like an astronaut having been gone from earth for so long and returning only to find the world totally foreign to him/her.

The distance between now and then has grown apart and is continually growing and I can see that it's going to be further and further.

No comments:

Post a Comment